2.5 File and Directory Management
With the click of mouse button user can create, delete, rename a file or folder. Folders can be shared so that these are used by others. Moving a file is simple drag and drop operation of mouse in Windows Explorer. For the text processing requirements of the users Notepad and Word Pad are given. Utilities like Games and multimedia can be used to entertain the users. System performance can be increased with system tool
In Windows Explorer or my computer, one can see both hierarchy of folders on the computers and all the files and folders in each selected folder. This is especially useful for copying and moving files
2.5.1 Creating and renaming of files and directories
To create a new folder
- In the windows explorer, if you want to create a new folder then select new option form file menu.
- Select folder option from the submenu.
- Type a name for the new folder and then press enter
To delete a file or folder
- In windows explorer, locate the file or folder you want to delete
- Click the file or folder
- On the file menu, click Delete
If you want to retrieve a file you have deleted, look in the Recycle Bin. The deleted files remains in the Recycle Bin until you empty it. You can also drag file or folder icons onto the Recycle Bin icon. If you press shift while dragging, the item will be deleted from the computer without being stored in the Recycle Bin.
To Change the Name of the File or Folde
- In Windows Explorer, click the file or folder you want to rename. You do not need to open it.
- On the File menu, Click Rename.
- Type the new name, and then press Enter.
A filename can contain up to 255 characters, including spaces. But it cannot contain any of the following characters:* ? “
To view a file or folder
- Double click the drive that contains the file.
- To View a file or folder, double click on it.
Copying and moving of files
You can open the folder that contains the file you want to move and drag it to the folder you want to put it in. To copy a file hold down the control key and to move a file, hold down the shift key while dragging.(or)
- Locate the file or files you want to move or copy.
- Select the files.
- Choose copy or cut from the edit menu, the toolbar or right click the context menu.
- Locate the place to which you want to move or copy the objects. Click on it.
- Choose paste from the toolbar, the edit menu, or the right click context menu.